Sunday 16 April 2017

Prague

Ahh, Prague. Its everything I dreamed about and more. 

This was a destination I always wanted to visit and when I looked on the map it was only a short trip from Dresden so it was too good an opportunity to pass up. The bus trip takes about two hours but you pass the border into the Czech Republic in about 20 mins. I arrived on the road across from the main train station and went to get some money changed before I decided to walk to the hotel.

My map app told me it was only about 2.2km so I put in my headphones, hefted my backpack onto my shoulders and set off down the road; following the instructions as I walked.  At first it was easy, but then I started getting random instructions: " in 10 metres turn left at Sueickslekaljkeks street". What the? There were multiple left turns and I couldn't see the name of the street written anywhere. I turned left and tried for the next instruction.  "In 200m turn right at Tkdkaldfjaklsdlfnankdlfjdf."  Sure!

One and a half hours later, I decided that this was a cosmic plot to make me explore random areas of the city and tried to find a cab.  Nothing. I kept walking and seemed to be getting slightly closer to the destination but was still (and had been for an hour and a half) 35 mins from my hotel. 

Half an hour later I finally found a cab driver who took one look at my destination and told me I was just around the corner. He sent me off in a different direction and sure enough I found it 10 mins later. A 30 min max walk had taken more than two hours. But I had seen a lot of the city I guess. I'm really crap at reading maps!

I'd booked a hotel right in the middle of the old town so I walked down old cobble stone streets sided by charming old buildings of sand and ash coloured stone and found my hotel in the middle of a bustling maze of little streets. I checked in and scored a room on the top floor which would have been perfect except that there was no lift and I'd already walked my feet sore. I had a quick nap and went out to explore the area. I'd come in from one side so I turned the other way to wander and..... walked into fairyland.

The sun had dropped low and all the lights were on and I was standing in the middle of a courtyard under the astronomical clock. Across the square was a large Disney-like church lit up with dramatic lighting. People were wandering around in the hazy dusk and exclaiming at the beauty of it all and I joined them enthusiastically. It was just so, so pretty.

After a little walking around, I started looking for a place to eat and settled on a restaurant a little off the main drag. The waiter obligingly found me an outside table away from the ever-present smokers and gave me a blanket for my legs. I ordered a pork knuckle and local beer (Pilsner). A little while later a giant - and I do mean giant - piece of meat arrived, all crispy and brown on the outside and succulent on the inside. With little roast potatoes, mustard, horseradish and sauerkraut it was truly a delicious feast. I hacked my way around the big bone and hoovered up the delicious meat and slurped down my beer. Heavenly!

The next morning I dressed early and hit the road by 7.30, walking along cool, misty streets. I came out onto the river up from the Charles Bridge and walked along enjoying the fresh breeze and watching the swans laze along the banks of the river. The city was hosting a half marathon in the morning so there were lots of people out setting up for the event and runners strolling along the course and warming up. I stopped for photos along the way and then walked under the street to come up at the Charles Bridge. The famous bridge is adorned with religious sculptures along the sides and it spans the river beautifully. Stall holders had set up along the bridge and people were strolling and browsing and stopping to take photos of the castle up on the hill and the buildings set against a perfect blue sky.

I wandered along the river on the other side, ducking in and out of little side streets to look at the view from different angles and stopped to watch children feeding the many swans who live on the river. Then I crossed back again on another bridge further down the river. By now the marathon had started and the streets were full of runners and supporters and passers-by. Everyone was cheering and yelling and blowing horns and making a fun-filled racket. It was great. 

The city had also kicked off their Easter celebrations and a market had been set up in the middle of the square with stalls bedecked with Easter decorations and flowers and ribbons. A stage sat off to one side with entertainers of all kinds and there was a big maypole strewn with coloured ribbons. I bought some lunch and sat near the statue to watch the people and rest my feet.

Later that evening I went back to the river to find a nice spot to get some sunset shots. I found a cafe on the other side of the riverbank and set up my little tripod. The sunset wasn't spectacular, but a beer and a snack and a few photos later, I was quite a happy camper. 

Stay tuned for part two....









0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Expressionate
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs