Thursday 10 July 2014

Last walk in Paris

Today was the first day of the tour proper and our last day in Paris.  We started off with a three hour walking tour of Paris, taking the metro a few stops down the line and then heading out on foot.  It was peak hour and as we walked into the Metro, our guide - Florian - told us to split up between carriages and jump on.  A train arrived in the station and every carriage was full to bursting, with people pressed against the windows and doors.  We looked at it and stepped back, realising that there was no way we could get on. 

Five minutes later, another train came along - almost as full.  The doors opened and a few people got off, leaving a little space for the group.  People started to cram in around the already full complement of people.  I held back a bit because I wanted all the people who hadn't travelled the metro in Paris could be sure to be on the train - and it was a good thing I did because suddenly the doors started to close and people had to hastily pull in arms and legs to not be crushed as they closed.  I called out that I'd meet them there and stepped back on the platform.

Four minutes later another train came and it was so full that there was no way I could get on.  Then four minutes later, another completely full train came through.  I decided that the next one would be THE ONE and sent Florian a text to say I'd be on the train.  I got up close to the doors on the side so I could slip in as soon as someone got out, but when the train came, there was just no way to get on board! Then another train - and another fail.

Time was ticking by at this stage and while I wasn't worried about missing the group because I knew where I was and how to get around, I was worried that I was holding them up.  I started tapping out a text message to tell them to go ahead without me and was just about to send it when a train arrived that was only 3/4 full and suddenly I had a seat!

After we all met up again, we headed out on foot to explore Paris and over three hours, we walked through many of the major highlights, looking at the city buildings, the Louve, Notre Dame and the Opera House.  It was a great way for everyone in the group to get to know one another as wandered around some of the most spectacular sights that Paris can offer, chatting about where we were from and our travel experiences.  By the time we stopped for coffee, we had bonded and everyone was having a great time.

We had the afternoon free, so I hooked up with two of the other girls and we did some female bonding (shopping) and then caught a metro to Montmarte.  We found a little local cafe for lunch and took the funicular up the hillside to Sacre Coure and wanded around the little backstreets.  We ended the day in a big pastry shop for coffee and cakes and sat at a big picture window and watched the world go by.  We saw a young stud having an emphatic conversation on his mobile phone (I provided commentary about what he was saying), a few mothers with their kids in prams, a lady who spent ten mins locking up her bike for a 2 min shopping purchase before repeating the process to unlock, and a transexual striding down the street in a short skirt and heels.  We also watched some models arrive for Fashion Week and go into their accommodation.  They were all very glamerous and beautiful, striding along on impossibly high heels while their assistants pulled their luggage for them. It was all very entertaining.

That night we had another riotious group dinner before some of us headed off for post dinner drinks in a local bar.  Everyone is starting to remember people's names and histories, so the conversation is kind of rushing along and everyone is enjoying eachother's company.  Tomorrow we head out of Paris to Dijon.

  
 Notre Dame.













  











1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pita. Your photos really are amazing - better than any postcode. Maybe that is your next gig. I am so glad you are having such an amazing time. Your words and photos show that you are in every moment and making the most of it all. I look forward to hearing more and about your Michelin star outing! Travel safe. Shaunna xo

Post a Comment

 
© Expressionate
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs