Friday 6 June 2014

Time out in Byron

If you ever need to take a break from the stresses of the world, I can recommend Byron Bay. 

I'm sure the locals experience the same stresses as everyone else in the world, but as a visitor it's a place to catch your breath, shift down a few gears and just b-r-e-a-t-h-e.

The world was getting a bit on top of me this week, so I drove down by myself and booked a night at one of the local motels.  Mid-week and off season, the traffic was light and the pace was slower. I arrived at lunchtime and stopped in town to pick up an organic vegetarian vegetable and polenta bake (hey, it is Byron after all) and then headed out to Wategos Beach for some peace and quiet. 

It was a still day with hardly any wind and the sea was flat and glassy.  The waves were idly crashing close to the shore and it was serene and peaceful. I sat at a picnic table to eat my lunch and watched the family in front of me enjoying their day at the beach.  One of the little boys got something stuck in his foot and came back to his mum so she could get it out.  Whatever it was, it was very hard to get at and it took her ages to find.  The poor little chap was sitting and crying quietly while she worked and within minutes, his whole family had come back to the spot to support him.  His big brother patted him on the head, his baby sister watched on, and his father sat down next to him and just gently took his hand.  I was fascinated by the father's comfort.  He didn't tell him not to cry or smother him in hugs. He just sat very gently and held his hand.  I felt comforted just watching and I am sure the little boy felt it too.  I'd never seen anything like it but I was really moved by his strength and genuine love and concern for his son.

After lunch I moved closer to the beach and sat on a rock to watch the waves crash on the shore.   It was the most peaceful I've felt in weeks and I stayed for over an hour, just sitting and watching - it was so nice to be still and a little more at peace. 
Julian Rocks
View from the top of the lighthouse.
I took a quick trip up to the lighthouse and enjoyed the view from the top of the hill.  On such a still day you could see for miles and I saw two whales off in the distance, hurrying north to breed.  The lighthouse was open and some volunteers were running a tour of the tower so I joined in.  In all the years I've been going to Byron, I never knew you could do a tour and it was interesting to hear about the history of the lighthouse.  The view from the top (and it's only 18 meters high) is another fabulous perspective of the area.

The highlight of the day was - as always - the sunset at Main Beach.  Each night, people gather there to sit and watch the sunset symphony to the accompaniment of the local drummers who play to the sun as it sinks slowly below the horizon behind Mt Warning. 

The surfers hung out around the wreck waiting for a wave, but everyone else watched the colours grow from apricot and peach to burnt sienna and then fade into lavender.  Then the stars came out, the lighthouse started its nightly flash across the sky and the show was done for another day. 





1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous sunsets Pitie, love the new blog xox
Natasha

Post a Comment

 
© Expressionate
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs