Monday 23 June 2014

It's hot!

I hear that Eastern Australia is in the midst of a big cold snap and while I'm not sorry to be missing it, I wish it were a little cooler here. 

Last year I came to Europe in the middle of the coldest spring they had experienced for 50 years. For six of the seven weeks I was here it was cold - cold enough for me to wear warm scarves, boots and multiple layers. 

This year the weather is back to normal and it's a little later in the season. And it's hot!

At home I set the air conditioner to 24 degrees to cool down. Here the temperature has yet to get above 25 but it feels more like 30+. While there is no humidity, you get warm as soon as you move and the buses (where windows can't be opened) and tube trains are hot and airless. Buildings designed to stay warm trap the heat and it lingers long after the temperature has dropped to 12 or 13. 

My ugly but practical hiking sandals have not been off my feet (unfortunately giving me a massive blister) and my warm jacket is packed in the bottom of my suitcase - I'm thinking that I won't need it again till I fly home.  

But on the plus side, the sky is blue, the breezes (when they blow) are delicious and there are plenty of legitimate excuses for ice cream consumption.

Other than Ireland, this is probably the coolest place I am going to visit so I suspect the next few weeks are going to get interesting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Expressionate
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs