Tuesday 24 June 2014

I heart Mummies

It's been a quieter day in London today. I woke up tired, with the languid weariness that no amount of coffee could erase so I decided on an easy day and took coffee and my kindle to Kensington Gardens to soak up some sun and chill out.

Once I had worked up a bit more energy I caught the tube to the British Museum.  The museum has one of the best displays of Egyptian artifacts outside Cairo and I wasn't disappointed. There are two floors of displays from Egypt alone and some of the pieces were just amazing.  

They also have the famed Rossetti stone - the artifact that helped archeologists decipher Egyptian hieroglyphs that had been a mystery for thousands of years.  The stone shows part of a proclamation that was written in 196 BCE in Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs, Demotic script and Ancient Greek and is the museum's most famous display.
  
There was also a special exhibition of eight different wrapped mummies. Each one had been CT scanned and the scans allowed researchers to look beyond the wrappings and share pictures about the age, physical condition and burial rites of the mummies. Each one had an interactive display and you could watch the scans yourself. They also had displays of jewellery and artefacts from the tombs - so interesting!

Finished the day with a walk around Picadally Circus and a visit to Whole Foods to buy some of my favourite yoghurt. Think I'll have an early night.







 The Rosetti stone



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Expressionate
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs